About Dr. Jayaprakash Narayan
Dr. Jayaprakash Narayan is a physician by training who went into the Indian Administrative Service in the aftermath of the Emergency and failure of the Janata Experiment. He stood 2nd in the IAS exam. During the 16 years of distinguished public service in various capacities, he acquired a formidable reputation in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
Some of his major accomplishments while in government
- As Joint Collector, he worked for the speedy rehabilitation of 8000 youth from displaced families of Visakhapatnam Steel Plant
- As Collector of Prakasm District, he was instrumental in the creation of a record 2,00,000 acres of irrigation , the largest such program with direct participation of people
- As Collector of East Godavari District, he spearheaded the reconstruction of drainage and irrigation network in Krishna and Godavari deltas.
- He served as Secretary to both Governor and Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh.
- He worked on strengthening of the credit cooperatives and making them independent of government control.
His other accomplishments include several major policy initiatives, including
- empowerment of parents in schools
- speedy justice through rural courts
- economic reform and restructuring of AP
- development of the Infocity in Hyderabad
- the much-acclaimed law for self reliant cooperatives (1995)
- empowerment of local governments and stakeholders
In spite of an impressive personal achievement, Dr Narayan's experience in government convinced him that faulty governance process was the biggest hurdle to India and Indians achieving greater success. And what India needs today is a fundamental change in the rules of the game and not a periodic change of players.
In order to translate his vision into practical reality, he resigned from Service (IAS) in 1996, and worked with like-minded colleagues for the formation of Lok Satta and is currently its National Coordinator. Lok Satta has now emerged as a leading civil society initiative for governance reforms. It has wide reach, name recognition, credibility and passive support of about 20% of the population of Andhra Pradesh. Lok Satta is now building alliances across India. State-level initiatives are encouraged based on Lok Satta's experience. These initiatives in a few major states will then build a common platform for national effort for governance reform. Lok Satta is primarily focusing on Maharashtra, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Orissa and Gujarat in this quest for building a national platform.
Dr. Narayan has been felicitated with several laurels.
- Honored with the "Rotary Manav Seva Award 2002" for his crusade against corruption
- Awarded the "Yudhvir Memorial Award 2002" for his outstanding contribution to the cause of good governance.
- Awarded the "Dr.Rustam D.Ranji Rotary Award" by Rotary Club of India.
- Awarded the "D. Ch.Tirupathi Raju Memorial Award 2004" in appreciation of his vision in terms of identifying the need of establishing a people's forum like Lok Satta and further developmental work done by it to bring in sustainable measures in the area of democratic governance.
- Honored with prestigious "Dr.Pinnamaneni Sita Devi Foundation Award".
- Honored with the "Bharat Asmita Jana Jagran Shreshta" - a Bharat Asmita National Award by MIT School of Management, Pune in recognition as the best performer in the area of Public Awakening.
- Felicitated by the Hyderabad Software Exporters Association in recognition for his contribution to the growth of IT industry in Andhra Pradesh and his efforts towards ushering democratic reforms in the country.
Dr Jayaprakash Narayan has served on the following panels
- The National Advisory Council (NAC) constituted by the United Progressive Alliance government to advise the government on the implementation of the National Common Minimum Programme, July 2004-August 2006.
- Vigilance Advisory Council constituted by the Central Vigilance Commission, November,2004.
- Second Administrative Reforms Commission constituted by the Government of India under the Chairmanship of Veerappa Moily, September 2005.
In 2006, he initiated the launch of Lok Satta Party a movement for new political culture in the state of Andhra Pradesh and is serving as its Founder, Advisor.